Tuesday, August 17, 2010

GERMAN POPSTAR FAILED TO DISCLOSE HIV STATUS NOW FACES JAIL TIME

SANKT POLTEN, AUSTRIA  - JULY 03:  Nadia Benaissa attends the Sankt Poelten City Party on July 3, 2009 in Sankt Poelten, Austria. This is the No Angels' first official concert after band member Nadja Benaissa has been imprisoned in Germany. (Photo by Christian Hofer/Getty Images)


What happens when you have unprotected sex with various men and do not tell them that you are  HIV positive? In the UK they arrest you and make sure that you answer to the lay of the law and to your alleged victims. UK popstar Nadja Benaissa has found that out the hard way as she now finds herself in the midst of a legal battle that may have her jailed for up to a maximum of ten years.
Benaissa, who became a member of the German band, No Angels, after she won top prize on the UK American Idol-model television show POPSTARS, faces a total of six (6) felony charges. Five (5) counts of Attempted Grievous Bodily Harm, for sleeping with partners without protection and one (1) count of Grievous Bodily Harm for infecting one man whom she dated briefly in 2004 with the HIV virus. The partner has stated to officials that he did not have any knowledge that Benaissa was carrying the disease until her Aunt asked him if he knew in 2007.
BERLIN - FEBRUARY 01:  Nadja Benaissa of the German pop band No Angels attends the 42nd Goldene Kamera Awards February 1, 2007 in Berlin, Germany.  (Photo by Sean Gallup/Getty Images)
Court documents show that the singer dated three men from 2000-2004 and did not inform any of them about her medical condition. Benaissa has said “I was careless during those days!” “I am sorry with all my heart and the last thing I wanted was for my partners to get infected!” Benaissa first became aware that she was HIV positive when she was informed at a doctors visit for a regular pregnancy checkup in 1999 when the singer was sixteen (16) years old. Benaissa has said she was told by her doctors that her risk of passing the virus to her partners was “practically zero.” She further states “Therefore I also concealed the fact that I was infected to my acquaintances. I did not want my daughter to be branded by this. I told the band members because I trusted them. I never made it public because I thought that would mean the end of the band."
The trial is underway this week and looks to last for approximately five days after all evidence is presented. 



Feel free to contact me at zmorganII@gmail.com & on twitter @zmorgan

No comments:

Post a Comment