Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Promiscuity For Real





This week in Psych we read an article by Frederick Elliston about promiscuity and it started me to thinking about some of the references in it. The writer professes that there are rules to promiscuity and who can engage in it and I felt that he couldn't have been more wrong. He boasts that homosexuals and lesbians CANNOT be promiscuous because according to his scale in order to be promiscuous one has to engage in sex with a person of the other sex. Now, I have Straight friends as well as Homosexual, Lesbian and Bi friends and regardless of how respectful they are of their relationship or not when they mess around multiple times they are just as promiscuous as a straight person. I don't think the reading is as intelligent as we are as people today. The more I read of some of these reading of old the more I'm glad that I am a person of the more forward-thinking-age. Had I been alive during the times that these types of thinking were the norm I would have been even more of an outcast than I felt when I was a teen. Reasoning: I don't have an issue with promiscuity because I think that sex is wonderful and SHOULD be explored before and depending on the situation DURING marriage. As long as the people involved in the relationship know and then agree that sleeping with others, whether as a couple or by their own single hookups, is ok then whats the problem (COMMUNICATION; Thanks Hannah). All involved are happy and they are being fulfilled sexually. We all are different and sometimes that love that we have for a mate isn't enough o make the sex all that you wish it could be.

I really feel that promiscuity is such a nasty biased word to describe a natural act regardless of how many partners one has. Variety is the spice of life and without being able to enjoy an active sex life how can one experience that variety? College life is the perfect time to experiment and do the sexual research that allows us to find out what we like and dislike. But reading articles like the one mentioned above could cause students to feel negatively about their sexuality and thus cause them to shut down and not be able to enjoy an active sex life because they may soon draw the moniker of being promiscuous or a hoe or in the situation of men....a stud (I'll be back to discuss that comparison soon)!

https://moodle.guilford.edu/file.php?file=%2F4962%2FElliston-InDefenseOfPromiscuity.pdf


No comments:

Post a Comment